Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Diggies

This year I've made 2 trips to Wollongong, and on both occasions i have come to this cafe! It was suggested to me from one of my work's customers, and i'm really glad i asked him! Its a cute little cafe sitting right on the beach, with a great view of the water and sand out front, a really nice accompaniment to your meal if you are able to get a window seat (which i did, both times!)




On my first visit i had corn fritters with avocado salsa, with a side of two hashbrowns and 1 egg fried sunny side up (no picture, as it came when i almost finished my food! But, i had ordered it a few minutes after i got my food, i was starving and thought an extra egg might be nice hehe.

I was expecting, well, fritters, not a corn pancake, but it was nice anyway, it lacked a bit of protein, i wish my egg came out abit faster :( But the hashbrowns were nice and crisp, not drenched in oil as some hashbrowns are, just right they were. & my mocha warmed me right up, this was back in April May, and it was a wet day, so it was nice to sip on this while i waited on my meal :)





You can see the lighthouse from the cafe, its a nice 10 minute walk up a hill, where you get a nice view of the ocean, and also some canons on display from a long time ago (you might find some kids straddling them for fun!)

On my 2nd visit it was with Bigbear, we decided to randomly road trip, for lunch, a nice walk, a visit to the Nan tien temple, and then back home - its really nice to get out of Sydney even if its for a little while.

seared ocean trout fillet $22
with sweet potato chips and herbed hollondaise

I wish i had abit more of the herbed hollondaise sauce, & the sweet potato chips were really tasty, it was nice to have them instead of say thich cut potato chips, or roasted potatoes.

steak sandwich $18
on sourdough with caramelized onion, tomato chutney,
garlic aoli and fries

Ian enjoyed his sandwich ( i ordered for him when he went to the bathroom), i tried abit of the bread and it was really nice and crisp! I think they might have pan fried it in some oil before bringing it out.


We both enjoyed our meals, our iced hot chocolate was a nice sweet treat, but the blueberry crumble we got for dessert- really hit the spot! We were pretty full, and decided against getting a second piece (it would've taken us into a foodcoma for the drive back home hehe)







I will come back here the next time i go to Wollongong, i'm sure of it! Hopefully it will be a little warmer as well, so i can go for a swim as well :)



open 7 days from 7:00am

1 cliff road. north beach. wollongong.nsw. australia. 2500

contact@diggies.com.au

http://www.facebook.com/diggies

telephone: 02 42 262688

14 comments:

Aimee said...

Mmm that iced hot chocolate looks good! Definitely keeping this on my list. I always find myself randomly down nearby the Gong but I never know where to eat!

Anonymous said...

Blueberry crumble is a good idea - yum! Sounds like a nice weekend road trip... I know what u mean about getting out of Sydney every now and then! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome thick iced chocolate! All food looks good and you can't beat the view.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I love going to Wollongong too! It's always such a nice drive and relaxing too :)Have you tried Fireworks in Austinmer? :)

tigerfish said...

Window seat is good! Helps in churning out absolutely stunning food photos....oops....confession of a food blogger. :p

Brooke said...

Those photos make me wish I lived around the corner...Too bad I'm not in Australia! I could really go for an iced hot chocolate!

Diane said...

Thanks for your visit. We went to Wollongong many years ago when visiting family in Sydney, I don't remember eating there though. I must pass on your information. Diane

Katarina said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! This sounds like a really cosy place and the food looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks so tasty! What a great meal!

sugarpuffi said...

nawwwwwww~i havent visited wollongong for too long! brings back memories

Nic@diningwithastud.com said...

Iv heard Diggies is meant to be awesome. The salmon looks really good! p.s. I love your wallet :) lol

chopinandmysaucepan said...

It's only 45 minutes from Sydney and such a beautiful drive there. We always stop by on our way down to the south coast.

msihua said...

I love corn fritters! And that image of that light tower reminds me of a giant coffee cup! Hahahha

Makan1976 said...

Nice Pictures of food indeed. I am hungry...again :)