Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chocolate dipped madelines

Sorry everyone for the unannounced hiatus/disappearance off the blogosphere. I've been a little busy bee! I hope to at least punch out a post every week from now on - even though i haven't been blogging i have certainly been eating out still :p


A few thing's that i've been up to are..


Oztag - our team 'TAG TEAM" made it to the grand finals but lost by just TWO points!


& also training for the Oztag Nationals comp in Shell harbour next mth


Mountain biking - training for Capital punishment which is a 50KM mountain bike race in Canberra this weekend where i'll be conquering bike tracks around Mount Stromlo, Kowen forest, Madjura Pines & Black mountain (exciting!)


Guitar hero-ing - i love it!


Tennis


Exploring local eats


I ate my way through Cabramtta tours (more info here)


Here is something I baked a while ago but never got around to blogging it.. & i've only used my madeleine pan once since then!





Chocolate Madeleines Recipe

(Adapted from Donna Hay Chocolate)

Makes 12


Ingredients


2 eggs

1/3 cup (75g / 2 1/2 oz) caster (superfine) sugar

1/3 cup (50 g / 1 3/4 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour

1 tsp baking powder

2 tbsp cocoa powder

60 g (2 oz) butter, melted


Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
  2. Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
  3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa over the egg mixture and fold through with the melted butter.
  4. Spoon the mixture into greased large Madeleine tins until two-thirds full.
5. Bake for 10 minutes or until the Madeleine's are set.

I dipped mine in chocolate to keep them moist as madeleines dry out quickly and are meant to be eaten on the same day that they are made!

Also i refrigerated the batter for two nights, as I read it helps to create that 'hump'.

Happy baking!





20 comments:

Kristy Sayer-Jones @ Southern In Law said...

Welcome back Betty, I've missed your posts! I was only thinking about you the other day!

Madeleines are so cute and yours look perfect! I really need to get myself a madeleine pan

chocolatesuze said...

yay you've returned! was great to see ya at alicia and drew's wedding! your madelines look fabulous

Phillip Nom said...

I thought Madeline was a girly cartoon but it can also be OM NOM NOM

Jennifer (Delicieux) said...

Gorgeous madelines! I love madelines and especially chocolate ones.

Amber said...

It seems a lot of my favourite food bloggers are having a break! Glad to see you back.

I also have plans to make madeleines this weekend - yours look just beautiful.

OohLookBel said...

Welcome back, you've been pretty active with, um, exercise and stuff...! Lovely madeleines.

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

They look perfect! Welcome back to the blogosphere :)

Adrian (Food Rehab) said...

Why hello! Hey,did you end up coming down ti Melb in Jan?
These looks so good. I love Madeleines when they're fresh from the oven- I can eat a dozen!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Oh these look so cute and perfect!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Betty, these look absolutely wonderful. The addition of the cocoa powder makes them truly special. I love the food and recipes you share with us. Your blog is a lovely place to visit. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Dewi said...

Your madeleines are perfect! I am honestly tempted, especially after you dip them in chocolate, oh heaven!

Dewi said...

Btw, Betty thanks for sharing the recipe. I bookmark it!

Von said...

You're back! :)

I didn't know you played oz tag :O How exciting! Congrats on making it to the grand finals- and coming SO CLOSE to winning! You're so much more of an active person than me...haha- your life is like..half filled with sports!

These madeleines look cute and delicious!

Barbara @ Modern Comfort Food said...

I've never actually eaten a madeleine, but this lovely recipe certainly makes clear what I've been missing. These look so pretty, delicious, and tempting!

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

Welcome back dear!
Oh if only I could say I've been keeping as active as you have... active in eating yet... active with good phyical activities no. =D
Aww madelines are on my list too, but just havn't had the chance (or pan) to make them yet.

tasteofbeirut said...

These chocolate madeleines have my name on them! I need to look and see if I still have my old madeleine pans (I have the bad habit of tossing things) and get busy this weekend making those fabulous ones!

lisa is cooking said...

Good luck with your bike race this weekend! Your madeleines look delicious with the chocolate glaze.

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Welcome back! Always nice to see some baked goodies as well =)

Cristina | Positively Beauty said...

These look so yummy! I haven't got a madeleine pan, it's on my wishlist. Thanks for the tip on refrigerating the batter overnight.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

So pretty and delicious! Perfect with a good cup of tea.

Cheers,

Rosa